[syslinux] Bad gzip magic numbers and ISOLINUX

John Hampton pacopablo at pdxlug.org
Fri Mar 21 08:01:57 PST 2003

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to make my first bootable CD image with ISOLINUX.  IT
went fairly well, except that when ISOLINUX boots and tries to load my
kernel, I get an error message about having "Bad gzip magic number" and
then the system is halted.  I have tried with 2 different kernel images,
one compiled using make zImage and one with make bzImage.  I was under the
impression that ISOLINUX could handle these formats (well the bzImage
format at least). Am I wrong?  do I have do to something else to make a
compatable kernel?  Thanks for your help.

-John