[syslinux] pxelinux kernel 2.4.20 nfs server is not asked

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Mar 28 05:59:58 PST 2003

Hi,

please also cc: the list. Maybe someone else has a better idea, or even someone else
has your problem and waits for an answer.

Sascha Wüstemann <sascha at killerhippy.de> schrieb am 28.03.03 12:25:56:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:01:58PM +0100 or thereabouts, Josef Siemes wrote:
> > The IP address used within tftp is not obtained the same way the kernel obtains
> > its IP address (it may even be a different address!). So how do you give the IP
> > address to the kernel? With ipappend, kernel level IP config, initrd & dhcpd
> > or else? I think the client"s kernel somehow didn't get an IP address for the interface,
> > and thus can't contact the NFS server.
> >

> Here's an excerpt of my kernel .config answering your questions.
>
> ---schnipp---
> #
> # Block devices
> #
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
>
> #
> # Networking options
> #
> CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
> CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
> # CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP is not set
> # CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP is not set
> # CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
>
> #
> # Network device support
> #
> CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
> CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
> CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
> CONFIG_EEPRO100=y
>
> #
> # Network File Systems
> #
> CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
> CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
> CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y
> CONFIG_NFSD=y
> CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
> # CONFIG_NFSD_TCP is not set
> ---schnapp---
>
> The nfs-server's ip address is given through the
> pxelinux.cfg/<HEXNUMBER> config file, which works with kernels prior
> v.2.4.20, see here:
>
> ---schnipp---
> DEFAULT kernel
> APPEND root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=172.16.0.1:/mnt/hdc2,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14 ip=172.16.0.12:172.16.0.1:172.16.0.1:255.255.255.0:bootbaby:eth0:'bootp' rw panic=10
> ---schnapp---
> BTW: setting CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP makes no difference.

So you give the address directly via "ip=". Why do you give the "bootp"-parameter
at the end of "ip="? It is supposed to be "ip=n.n.n.n:[...]" or 'ip=bootp' or 'ip=dhcp'.
Maybe that confuses your kernel - I haven't tried that out. Look into the kernel's
Documentaton tree for additional infos about the "ip="-parameter.

BTW: If you have the IP address already in the kernel parameter, you don't need
CONFIG_IP_PNP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
this is only used for kernel level dhcp/bootp/rarp support.

Regards,

Josef