[syslinux] load pxelinux w/o PXE BIOS?

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Thu May 29 20:38:06 PDT 2003

Hi,

hm at seneca.muc.de schrieb am 29.05.03 21:40:34:
> I would like to load pxelinux as a second stage bootloader from a machine
> which does not have a PXE BIOS (namely, from a VMware guest machine) in
> order to perform an automated Linux installation. A boot floppy would
> be nice. It seems that there are some commercial solutions around but
> is there someting in the OSS arena?  I've been googling for it for some
> time but no luck.
>
> Yes I could also use etherboot/netboot (w/o pxelinux) but the point is I
> have a install server environment which does work just fine, and would
> like to use VMware GSX as a demo setup on my laptop. This should be as
> much as the live setup as possible.

The two things I know of:
- bootix has floppy images of its PXE roms. Didn't try them, but you could try www.bootix.de. These
are demos of the roms, so maybe they do what you need.
- The etherboot developers had some plans to extend etherboot to support PXE. But AFAIK
nothing usable is available, the only thing that is possible is to load a etherboot rom via pxelinux, and then let that take control over the network card (loading the kernel 'the etherboot way').

Regards,

Josef