[syslinux] multiple default in /pxelinux.cfg

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Oct 14 06:15:43 PDT 2003

Hi,

enjayworld at sify.com schrieb am 14.10.03 14:31:40:
> I am using PXES for booting diskless computer to win2k, and/or LTSP
> servers.
>
> The problem is we have many computers in our lab have different
> computers, so i require different .initrd files for each group of
> computers.
> Can i have different /pxelinux.cfg/default files so that i can define
> different locations for my boot files.

You can't have multiple 'default' files (that's why it's called default ...).

What you can do is group them by IP address (e.g. the '10.1.*.*' net
would be referenced via pxelinux.cfg/0A01) or give the dhcp server
the filename with the pxelinux special options (options 211-214 AFAIR,
but see the manpage for this). Both work like a charm.

BTW: You can also work with symlinks in the tftp server directory, since
the tftp server dereferences the symlinks to the actual file. So symlinking
'0A01 -> default' would get the 10.1.*.* net to use the default config,
'0A02 -> dellpc' would configure this net for something different.

Regards,

Josef