[syslinux] Odd problem with pxelinux

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Oct 15 07:20:16 PDT 2003

Hi,

Jimmy Hedman <jimmy.hedman at southpole.se> schrieb am 15.10.03 15:54:42:

> We encountar a somewhat odd problem. We use pxelinux to boot a linux
> cluster and when we reboot all 103 of the nodes some of the won't start
> since the tftp-servere looses the arp-entry _between_ it downloads the
> pxelinux.0 and the config file! pxelinux doesn't seem to answer the
> arp-requests either in this phase.
>
> We run linux 2.4.22 on the tftp-server which also is dhcp-server and
> nfs-server.
>
> Is this som known issue with the linux kernel or pxelinux?

The problem is: The server has its arp table overflown. Since pxelinux on the
pxe rom is somewhat limited I think it doesn't answer to arp requests
while downloading a file. ( hpa, can you confirm this?)

The solution is to configure the server to have a bigger arp cache, this is set somewhere
in /proc/kernel. See the kernel documentation for this.

Regards,

Josef