[syslinux] TFTP & Network after booting kernel

Alex Ninaber alex.ninaber at clustervision.com
Thu Oct 30 03:39:15 PST 2003

Hello all,

We are trying to make our own NFSroot via PXELINUX without the e1000
ethernet module compiled into the kernel. All works fine, we have a ramdisk
that can setup networking from information provided by $ip, however I would
like to download the specific e1000.o via tftp before inserting it into to
the kernel. Since ramdisks are static I rather not have the situation where
we have to recreate the ramdisk everytime we install a new kernel. So the
question is: can I download via tftp the Ethernet module using the same or
similar mechanism provided in PXE while being in the ramdisk? We use busybox
in our ramdisk, so we have a relative large number of commands available,
a.o tftp, ifconfig.

In fact, what I would like to do is to download a specific script instead of
the e1000.o module so on the server site we can control things dynamically.

If using tftp without having the Ethernet module inserted in the kernel,
what possible other options do I have?

Regards,

Alex