[syslinux] Re: Network Boot IP Configuration Dilemma

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Sep 8 10:29:37 PDT 2003

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

> As he uses a ramdisk, that's not a problem. You could add a MAC=<mac_address>
> and the linuxrc would get the values from /proc/cmdline.
>
> But still, personally, I don't understand the problem of letting the
> kernel get a dhcp lease afterwards.

I really don't either, and I'm extremely hesitant to start plugging
random crud into PXELINUX unless someone can come up with a case other
than "misconfigured DHCP server" where the re-leasing (no pun intended)
model just doesn't work.

This is partially a correctness issue: at some point the lease is going
to expire anyway, and by then there better be a dhcpd running which can
renew it.