[syslinux] Re: Network Boot IP Configuration Dilemma

Jon Nalley jon.nalley at rlx.com
Mon Sep 8 10:33:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 12:23, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> As he uses a ramdisk, that's not a problem. You could add a MAC=<mac_address>
> and the linuxrc would get the values from /proc/cmdline.
>
> But still, personally, I don't understand the problem of letting the
> kernel get a dhcp lease afterwards.
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha

The problem with doing a DHCP afterwards is that I don't know which NIC
to do the DHCP on - that is if I want to DHCP on the same NIC that was
used to PXE.

The main purpose for the ramdisk is to install OS "images" to the
machine - so what I will probably end up doing is cycling through the
interfaces doing a DHCP on each and attempt to contact the "image
server" using a broadcast (or something).  The only issue with that (and
why I like the idea of using IPAPPEND) is because doing the DHCP request
for each interface can be a slow process.

I really like the idea of passing MAC=<mac_address> and then finding the
matching interface in the ramdisk though.

Thanks,

Jon Nalley