[syslinux] MTFTP support in PXElinux??

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Sep 24 01:42:05 PDT 2003

Hi,

Harry Hoffman <hhoffman at ip-solutions.net> schrieb am 24.09.03 04:38:19:
> Just joined the list and started using pxelinux. Very cool product!!! I searched
> the, 8+ MB, archives looking for multicast entries. I know that the pxelinux
> page says that the support of mtftp in pxelinux isn't in the works but I'm not
> sure how old/relavant that comment is. I have noticied some comments from H.P.A.
> describing the difficulties in doing MTFTP.
> Are there any plans to support MTFTP? The reason I ask is that I would really
> like to be able to serve tftp via multicast.

pxelinux works just great with TFTP. Why would you need MTFTP? It would
save some packets if you boot multiple clients at a time, but would need major
effort to get this into pxelinux. Also, if you managed to boot all of your clients
with MTFTP, they would also need to get some file systems (maybe root filesystems)
via nfs or else, and this definitively doesn't work for nfs, smb and what else you
could think of.

> Does anyone know of any other network bootloaders that use multicast? Do many
> people see this as a need?

I don't see this as a need, since tftp works even for booting some hundred machines
at a time. You need some sane network structure for this (switched ethernet with a
higher uplink to the server), but then it's working as it should, and also this should
be standard for modern networks.

Regards,

Josef