[syslinux] Problem using tftpd-hpa 0.34 and armmon bootloader on remote embedded arm-linux board

Ant Allen aallen at race-technology.com
Fri Apr 2 13:39:40 PST 2004

Hi all,

I've been struggling with this for several days now so any help would be very
much appreciated!

I have a compulab embedded arm board which runs a bootloader called ArmMon.
ArmMon supports file fetching over ethernet via a built in tftp client, and
Compulab recommend the use of winagents tftp server for windows ... which is
a bit naff when I'm cross developing from linux to embedded linux.  I'm
trying to download a new kernel image to my embedded board.

The tftp client in ArmMon works fine with winagents tftp on the host in
windows, but not with tftp 0.34 under linux.  I get:

ARMmon > download kernel tftp zImage 192.168.0.2
Download destination: 0xA0100000
TFTP download: IP: 192.168.0.2, fname: zimage
Error during ethernet download:
Server timeout, probably file does not exist.

However, with the arm board booted into linux the tftp client built into
busybox will download files fine from either the linux host, or the win2k
host ... but this is no use for downloading the kernel image.

I have no idea what ArmMon's tftp client does or doesn't support as it comes
with no documentation, and little to no support!  I assume its a
compatibility problem, but seeing how it works fine with a windows host,
surely it should work with a linux host running tftpd too?

Any suggestions?

Ant