[syslinux] PXELINUX 2.0 diskless booting RedHat 9.0

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Jan 16 11:13:39 PST 2004

Hi,

"John R. Menig" <jmenig at mitre.org> schrieb am 16.01.04 17:53:58:
> I'm trying to boot RedHat 9.0 on a diskless PC from a head machine
> running Redhat 9.0.
>
> The network appears to be setup correctly. I can boot the installation
> disk image fine using pxelinux.
>
> What I am trying to setup is a number of  different Linux systems each
> with its own root directory on the head machine. I am hoping that I
> don't have to modify the kernel for any of these systems.
>
> To test this out, I have exported the head machine's root directory,
> which I want NFS mounted as root on the diskless machine, and I'm using
> its /boot/vmlinuz kernel.
>
> My configuration file is
> label linux
> kernel RedHat/vmlinuz
> append nfsroot=160.2.200.2:/
>
> The errors I get on the diskless machine are
>
> kmod: failed to exec/sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-72, errno = 2
> VFS: Cannot open root device "" on 48:05
> Please append correct "root=" boot option
> Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 48:05
>
> I believe pxelinux can be used to do this, and I don't need to use a
> initrd disk image.
>
> What changes are need to the configuration file? How is swap space setup
> the diskless machine?

How is the root filesystem exported? It must be exported with 'root=' or 'anon=0'
(warning! Insecure!). Perhaps you should start with a copy of your root filesystem,
and use this for all your clients. And you need to make sure that all your clients
get at least the network interface configured from the kernel (so the network
driver needs to be either in the kernel or in an initrd). Have a look at the kernel messages,
if it initializes any network card.

Regards,

Josef