[syslinux] TFTP too slow (PXE boot)

Tushar Gohad tusharsg at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 15:53:11 PDT 2004

 Hi,

 In process of setting up a diskless client booting using
 PXEboot, we observed really low tftp download rate.
 (it would take around 15 mins to download a 1MB kernel
  image) The server has tftpd from tftp-hpa installed
 and the tftp client we are using is the one that comes
 with PXEboot .. I found the blocksize option (-B,
 undocumented) could be used to set higher block sizes.

 I also tried setting no_mtu_path_discovery option on
 the Linux server ..

 Any ideas what could be done to speed up the tftp transfers?
 I am using Intel 82544 gigabit ethernet controllers on both
 the client and the server ...

 Thanks.
 - Tushar