[syslinux] isolinux error with reset

Bschorer Elmar elmar.bschorer at millenux.com
Fri Mar 5 05:22:32 PST 2004

hi @all,

i have the following problem. after i have built my bootable cd with the
following command:

mkisofs -o /tmp/boot.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T .

Total translation table size: 12412788
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 6153353
Total directory bytes: 19292160
Path table size(bytes): 96812
Done with: The File(s)                             Block(s)    126565
Writing:   Ending Padblock                         Start Block 143804
Done with: Ending Padblock                         Block(s)    150
Max brk space used 35da000
143954 extents written (281 Mb)

i burn it to cd with the command:

cdrecord -v speed=20 dev=0,0,0 /tmp/boot.iso

when i now try to boot the cd i get the bootimage/bootmenu which can be
executed without any problem.

after i start the bootprocess the following scenario occures:

Then the screen blanks and tries to:
Uncompressing Linux......OK, boting the kernel.

after that line the computer resets and the cd tries to boot again.

I have already tried to boot the iso with vmware. VMware has the same
error!
*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***
The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a
real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be
caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in
the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software.
Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

Any ideas how to get the cdrom booting, giving me a hint to solve this
problem, respectivly???

tia

elmar