[syslinux] problems with pxelinux

Davide Carboni dcarboni at crs4.it
Mon Mar 15 11:25:16 PST 2004

Hi. I'm quite new in Linux under-the-hood. I'm trying to net-boot a
tablet Pc with no CD and FD. I successfully installed and configured
DHCP and TFTP.

I wrote a /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default config file as follows:

> label linux_test
>         kernel vmlinuz
>         append root=initrd

but it seems to ignore the two directives "kernel" and "append" as it
says that no file named "linux" was found and prompts "boot:".

If I keyboard-input "vmlinuz" the loading goes on, it seems to load a
kernel image but then it hangs claiming for a root device.