[syslinux] special boot disk.

Steve Glines sglines at is-cs.com
Mon May 3 11:56:11 PDT 2004

I guess I didn't say that quite right. What I meant was boot from
syslinux. Query the user then nfs mount (no windows in this shop except
my e-mail PC[this one]) the right directory. Each of the directories
would have a mounted CD image (more likely a dd'd copy of the mounted
CD) then what?

Do I have enough room on a floppy to do NFS mounting? Or SAMBA for that
matter?

Can I effectively exec to the installers (like anaconda) on remote
systems and will NOT prompt me to install another CD.

I haven't tried any of this yet so I am anticipating problems.

Cheers
Steve

Blaauw,Bernd B. wrote:

> define "boot the cd image". Syslinux has no "boot from ISO image"
> functionality, but many OS's can mount an ISO.
>
> Syslinux.cfg can easily boot multiple items.
>
> SAY 1) Boot Redhat SAY 2) Boot Novell/SUSE SAY 3) Boot Debian SAY 4)
> Boot Fedora SAY 5) Boot Mandrake
>
> then same kernel, same initrd, but depending on kernel loading
> arguments you start a different installation procedure. (mount a
> samba share, start the network installer program) KNOPPIX (Debian
> Live-cd) does the same. see www.knoppix.net
>
> Bernd

> deze e-mail zijn de volgende voorwaarden van toepassing:
>
> http://www.fontys.nl/disclaimer
>
> The above disclaimer applies to this e-mail message.

Steve Glines
voice: 978-952-6340         www.is-cs.com
   fax: 978-952-8524         145 Foster Street
  cell: 617-549-7274         Littleton MA 01460

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice there is.