[syslinux] accented characters in isolinux

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Thu May 13 11:24:55 PDT 2004

hey people

I'm new to the list and would like to say thanks to everyone that has
worked on syslinux/isolinux. It's one of those tools that everyone uses
at some stage but no-one ever really takes much notice of it - mainly
because *it just works*. So congrats ...

Now onto my question - I am customizing Fedora Core and I want to change
the isolinux boot.msg screen to display some custom text. Problem is
that the text is in french and includes accented characters. These
characters don't seem to be supported in isolinux. I have tried editing
the file on a machine that is utf-8 compliant, and also on a machine
with LANG=en_US.iso885915. These machines give me different characters -
but both times they are not the correct characters.

It is only the accented characters that give me trouble. A utf-8
compatible file gives me 2 characters for each accented character in
isolinux, and the iso885915 gives me one character for each accented
character.

Any ideas on how I can get accents in my boot.msg?

thanks

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!