[syslinux] pxelinux and http

Michael Blandford mlblandf at sedona.ch.intel.com
Wed May 19 14:01:59 PDT 2004

Timothy Legge wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 14:18, Michael Blandford wrote:
>

>>Is there any possibility pxelinux could have the ability to pull its
>>kernel/ramdisk/disk images/etc via http instead of tftp?
>>

>Michael
>
>There is some experimental support in Etherboot for http and domain name
>resolution.  Although, if you are downloading pxelinux the fact that
>etherboot can do that is negated because you will use the pxelinux
>download engine.

My goal is to keep any decision making away from tftp and put it on a
web server where I can make programatic decisions.

For example, if a host boots from the network, it requests a bootloader
via tftp.  That bootloader would pull a config file ( again from tftp
).  I would like that config file to be very basic and static for all hosts.

If the config file needed vmlinuz or initrd, it would make an http
request.  Now, the web server could look into a database and decide
which kernel and ramdisk to hand out.  Maybe you get OS 4.x today but
tomorrow the web server would hand out 5.x.  It makes maintaining
multiple builds and hosts much easier than dealing with many config files.

Is this something I could do with etherboot?  I do not want to modify
the hardware in any way.

Michael

Disclaimer: The content of this message is my personal opinion only and
although I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way
represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak on
behalf of Intel on this matter.