[syslinux] Network booting DOS with IPX support

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optusnet.com.au
Sun Nov 7 02:00:51 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out how to boot DOS on a diskless PC, and I've come
to a bit of a stumbling block with loading IPX support (which is
extremely important, since most DOS games use IPX for network play ;-))

So far thanks to PXELinux and Memdisk I've gotten a DOS floppy image
booting successfully, but I'm stuck trying to get IPX support.
Admittedly I don't have much experience in this area, but I was hoping
I'd be able to use the UNDI/PXE stack as a universal driver, so that I
can load IPX on any computer with a PXE bootrom (i.e. no hardware
specific network drivers.)  Has anyone tried this before?  There seems
to be a bit of talk on Google about it (UNDI is NDIS2, NDIS to ODI
shim?!? etc.) but no real solutions given in the end (well none that I
could understand, anyway ;-))

If anyone has any ideas about doing this I'd be grateful if you could
share them!

Thanks,
Adam.