[syslinux] Okay I'm stumped.

A.J. Venter ajventer at direqlearn.org
Wed Oct 13 05:05:01 PDT 2004

I have a very weird issue with isolinux.
I create disks with a bootsector, kernel etc.
The CD's boot fine on most machines, but on a significant number the bios just
completely ignores them. Yet these same bios's boot a number of linux CD's
all using isolinux.
Moreover a lot of time the same bios will fail with a CD, yet boot the same
iso if it's burned onto a DVD.
The only difference I can see between my disks and these vendor disks is that
my initrd is rather larger - it's a 26mb squashfs image.

Can this be the problem ? Or is there something else I can do - that maybe
doesn't require me to redo six months of work :p I certainly would prefer not
to redo it unless I know it's the problem.

The only other CD I've seen that has the same problem in the same places is
mandrake 9.1 which is an older release of course - but their initrd is pretty
standard.

If I'm missing something obvious I appologise but I'm honestly stuck here. If
needed I'll provide any files you may want to look at.

Ciao
A.J.
--
A.J Venter