[syslinux] Syslinux patch

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Wed Sep 1 10:25:46 PDT 2004

I sent the info in your first comment to Richard Woodbury, who knows far
more about these things than I do.  He replied with the following:

I was actually mistaken about the STORAGE_DEVICE_NUMBER struct not being
on my system (cygwin).  The Microsoft docs say to include ntddstor.h,
but when I tried the compiler said it was not found.  I took that at
face value.  After some investigation, I found that it is available
under /usr/include/w32api/ddk/ and it can be referenced thusly:

#include <ddk/ntddstor.h>

However, I don't know if that will be compatible with all compilers
(i.e. Visual C++).  But it should be compatible with mingw since the
w32api with cygwin is actually from the mingw project, and that is the
normal way this project is built.

Unfortunately, after trying to build with that header, I got lots and
lots of errors.  I fiddled with it for some time, but there seems to be
some sort of problem with the that header file or the other headers that
it includes.  This data structure (and the whole header file) is a
relatively new addition to the Microsoft Win32 SDK.  The latest version
of Visual C++ to which I have access is from 1998, which does not have
this header file.  So I have not been able to test this under the
Microsoft environment to ensure that it isn't something I'm doing wrong.
But in all reality I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong, so I feel
confident there is something wrong with the headers in the mingw w32api,
especially since these are new and somewhat esoteric features to the
API.

The comment in the code should probably be changed to reflect this new
information:
// This data structure is from ddk/ntddstor.h, but is being explicitly
// defined here as there was a problem with the related w32api headers
// at the time of this writing that prevented successful compilation.

Joel Ebel