[syslinux] Problems with menu.c32, and some feature request for menu.c32

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 5 14:53:08 PDT 2005

Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 12:47:25PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>>Geert Stappers wrote:
>>
>>>Is terminal (emulating programs) going bzerk on escape sequences
>>>for an other terminal that cost trouble in the past.
>>>Reposition Cursors for countdown indicator gives me cold shivers.
>>>Please assume a "_dumb_ serial terminal" for output at boot time.
>>
>>Then don't use the menu system.
>
> Okay, Acknowledge, Thanks.

After all, the menu system is all about presenting an aestetic output to
the user, which involves cursor movement and attributes.  I've tried to
make the attribute codes work well on a number of terminal emulators,
but it *does* require a higher-functioning terminal than the plain text
output of the CLI.  Both are legitimate needs, however, one doesn't rule
the other out.