[syslinux] Announce: Universal network boot floppy/cd/hd 5.4.0 released

Casey Woods casey.woods at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 13:19:10 PDT 2005

Hi Paolo,
Does your network boot package work for wireless PCMCIA?

We're converting about 200 PCs at an elementary school  to LTSP right
now and most of them work fine because they have a net boot option in
the bios.

Unfortunately, I have about 20 laptops that all have D-Link DWL-650+
802.11b wireless cards.  Even worse, they need the ACX100 driver
(http://acx100.sourceforge.net).  My options right now are pretty
limited.  The only distro I've found that will actually recognize and
configure the card is Ubuntu.  Mainstream Linux supports appears to be
sparse at this point.

I really need a way to boot these laptops so that we can run them as
thin clients.  Installing Linux is an option but becomes a bit difficult
to manager in the long term.  I'm open to any suggestions because the
alternative is to buy 30 new cards and that will be expensive.  Do you
have any ideas?

I'm particularly interested in wireless support because we have run out
of lab space in the school.  Any new computers that  we add will have to
be laptops in a mobile lab.

Thanks,
Casey Woods