[syslinux] Installing image via PXE

Uwe E. Bilger uwelists at u-b.de
Fri Aug 19 13:51:35 PDT 2005

Hello,

I'm not sure whether I'm mailing to the correct list. Please, after
taring and feathering, point me to a correct list, in case I'm wrong.

I would like to install, or maybe better transfer?, an image I created
with dd from a server to the client via pxe. I know that there is a
bunch of OSS out there doing a great job administering a bunch of
images for server farms, etc. That's too complex. I only have three
machines with three different snapshot images, which I would like to
transfer back for recovery purposes in an automated manner.

Could you point me to concrete examples and options I could use?
Somebody else mentioned "dhcpd and atftpd combo", but that was the
extent of advise - not enough for me.

I'm familiar with basic pxe installation procedures, coming from
redhat's (fedora's) kickstart routine, so I don't need to know those
basics which can be found in documentation as well. Just the step of:
don't want to use kickstart, just want to use an image.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Uwe