[syslinux] Trying to work around a 0.99h client.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 4 12:45:14 PST 2005

Michael Quaintance wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've mentioned before my attempt to get a 0.99h client running pxelinux
> and here is my current problem.
>
> I've got pxelinux, dhcpd  and tftp-hpa running on my server and the
> client requests a DHCP lease and gets it. It also gets the filename to
> download via tftp. It then sends a request to the correct address for
> the correct file and tftp-hpa starts trying to send it the file. But the
> client doesn't ACK any packets and so after a short while, the client
> requests the file again, seemingly thinking its request was ignored.
>
> I have set the "-r blksize" option for tftp-hpa and I have used another
> client to connect over tftp to get the file. The other client (my mac
> laptop) had no problems and the file transfer was successful. I have
> seen some references to using the chroot directory to mean the client
> doesn't have to request a file within a directory so I have changed this
> and retested using the laptop. The file was available. The client is now
> asking for simply "pxelinux.0" and it still doesn't ACK any packets.
>
> I have been following all of this simply by using tcpdump on my server
> so I haven't seen the raw data of any packets.
>
> I notice in the tftp-hpa man pages you can increase the verbosity of the
> daemon but I can't find where it logs this to. I have looked in the
> syslog and seen no tftp messages (but I get all of the DHCP lease info
> here). Where does tftp-hpa log to?

syslog, however, if there are no packets there isn't anything to log...

> Additionally, are there any other options to tftp-hpa that are likely to
> help here? I have not seen anything that seems obvious.

The best you can do is to try to find the errata document and look what
particular errata apply to 0.99h.  The list of errata for the 0.99
releases is huge.

Again, make sure you turn off path mtu discovery on the server.  At
least some of the 0.99's couldn't parse a packet with the DF bit set.