[syslinux] syslinux/isolinux capabilities

Tim Fletcher tim at night-shade.org.uk
Mon Feb 7 06:30:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 01:43, Benjamin Hodgens wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's possible to use isolinux on a bootable CDR to boot an
> ISO9660 disk image off of the CDR's filesystem. I'm trying to make a multi-boot
> CD which is capable of booting both floppy images and smaller ISO9660 images
> (such as the debian netinst or DSL - damnsmall linux), and I am wondering if
> isolinux is capable of doing this (or something similar to this - would there be
> a workaround through another method?), or if I might need to try using GRUB.

Yes it is possible there is a project that you might be interested in
looking: http://ubcd.sf.net the project uses both memdisk and diskemu.
But not isolinux (they use a something called cdshell)

It is also possible to do what you want with a basic isolinux setup
remembering to setup the config file so that memdisk is the kernel and
the floppy image is the initrd.

--
   Tim Fletcher
                                     .~.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam (For non-latiners: "I have a catapult. Give me all the
money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")