[syslinux] MS-DOS Magic ?

Marc Haisenko haisenko at webport.de
Thu Jul 7 04:30:44 PDT 2005

On Thursday 07 July 2005 12:03, lanas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I've tried and retried to make some USB sticks bootable.  I started by
> making one partition, labeling it FAT16, copying a kernel, an initrd and
> a very simple syslinux.cfg file.  I ran syslinux /dev/sda1 on it.
> Didn't boot.  I tried placing on it the mbr.bin file ('cat mbr.bin >
> /dev/sda') but still no boot.  Then I tried various combinations of
> these two.  Labeling the partition Linux.  Running dd on the mbr.  ans
> some other things.

Some things to check:

You've said you 'labeled' it FAT16, what does that mean ? Formated it with
mkfs.msdos and gave it the Volume Label "FAT16" ?

When you made the partition, did you mark it as bootable with fdisk ?

And to what degree does it not boot ? Does the BIOS completely ignored it or
is there an error message printed ? If so, what does it say ?

C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko