[syslinux] MS-DOS Magic ?

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Fri Jul 8 02:12:30 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:30:44 +0200
Marc Haisenko <haisenko at webport.de> wrote:

> Some things to check:

> You've said you 'labeled' it FAT16, what does that mean ? Formated it
> with  mkfs.msdos and gave it the Volume Label "FAT16" ?

I was using an utility called mkdosfs that I found some time ago.
Somewhere.

> When you made the partition, did you mark it as bootable with fdisk ?

Nope.

I tried mkfs.msdos and making the partition bootable (and of type 6 -
FAT16 - that's what I meant by labelling the partition previously) and
it works with all of the SanDisks 256MB Cruzer Micro I have.

But still, I have two Apacer HandySteno HT 203 (the new, said to be
faster, red ones) which cannot be made bootable in this way.  In any
other way, for that matter. Even the MS-DOS floppy method does not
work: they'ere not recognized as hard disk C:.  They do function as
regular storage devices under Linux.

But the most important, the San Disks, are working, so that's OK.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Tschuess,

Al