[syslinux] pxelinux and 2.6.9 kernel parameters

scott domars scott.domars at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 19:54:42 PDT 2005

Thank you for your reply. I should have given a more complete URL for
the 3rd party compaq info site.
Here it is: http://www.cpqlinux.com/memory.html
I do not understand the inner workings of why the memory is reported
wrongly to the kernel at boot, though....
I tried your suggestion of memmap=496M, The kernel did not see all of
the memory, so the install stopped with the following error:
"not enough Ram to install Centos OS".
I tried the old kernel parameter mem=496M, but this gave me a kernel
panic also.
Of interest, "cntrl V" gave me isolinux version 2.11.

If the kernel is able to uncompress the image, how can the start address
of the image be lost? Surely the start was known at some stage for the
uncompress to occur? Or does the booting kernel always assume a start
address of 0? in which cas,e a starting offset would always be a
problem...
Thanks.