[syslinux] FW: EXTLIUX.SYS hangs

Mike Andrews macp at win.co.nz
Wed Jun 1 20:53:31 PDT 2005

I need help to get extlinux to work.

I am tiring to boot /dev/hda1 with a ext2 file system. I am using extlinux
3.08 and installed it in the /boot directory with "/sbin/extlinux /boot" and
set up the mbr with "cat mbr.bin > /dev/hda". The installer reported "/boot
device is /dev/hda1".

On booting extlinux.sys runs and displays "EXTLINUX 3.08 2005-05-19" but not
the copyright message.

I discovered that my BIOS was using a different disk geometry than was
printed on the disk so I changed the BIOS to use the USER rather than the
AUTO setting and set the USER type to C=8894 H=15 S=63 and reinstalled
extlinux but no change. I tried using the -S and -H options to force
extlinux to use 15 and 63 but still no change.

I have tried various combinations of extlinux.conf and no conf file at all
but always get the same result. I don't think that extlinux.sys is getting
that far.

I get the same result from 2 different machines with different BIOS's (same
disk). One of these is a standard Pentium III PC with American Megatrends
AMIBIOS version 7/21/2000S

My extlinux.conf is:-

default linux
prompt 1
display boot.msg
timeout 100
label linux
	kernel vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
	append initrd=initrd-2.4.20-8.img root=/dev/hda1

also..

how can I remove extlinux.sys from a directory?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Andrews