[syslinux] retrieve drive letter of USB Media.

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Tue Mar 1 10:36:49 PST 2005

Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 03:51:21PM +0100, Blaauw,Bernd B. wrote:
>
>> Does SYSLINUX have any idea which DOS driveletter would be assigned
>> to the disk it is booting from? At www.veder.com someone is trying
>> to build a USB flash drive. However, FreeDOS does not seem to boot
>> correctly from it (bootsector trouble maybe, or kernel itself is
>> confusing drives), thus we're thinking of using Syslinux + Memdisk
>> + bootimage, but somehow we want to be able to also access the USB
>> flash disk itself, from a batchfile.

>> Any ideas?
>

> I don't wanna make anybody unhappy, but it seems that you have a
> serious legacy problem.
>
> The trick is thinking in functionality, not in applications. Tell
> your organisation about the Total Cost of Ownership of non-free
> software.

You didn't offer him any help, and didn't read closely.  Bernd stated he
was using FreeDOS (a free open-source MSDOS replacement) - in fact, he
seems to be the major developer of FreeDOS.

It's also not new - FreeDOS has been around since 1994.  For more
information, check out http://www.freedos.org.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX System Administrator