[syslinux] PXELinux and serial number

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Mar 18 21:38:24 PST 2005

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com wrote:
> You can basically cut and paste the code from dmi_scan.c (iirc) in linux
> to do the scan. The only somewhat hairy parts are that the DMI table can
> legally be anywhere in 32-bit address space, and need not be in e820
> mapped memory.
>
> Wouldn't this be a good com32 extension?

Not really, because you'd want it to be before the configuration file is
read.  Sure, you could make it two-stage, but that's kind of ugly too.

However, what I'm kind of doing is making this an "internal com32"
binary; originally I was going to write it in assembly like everything
else, but after seeing your message above I realized it can simply *be*
a com32 binary (without libcom32, for simplicity) invoked via the
standard com32 mechanism already included in the binary.

Then the whole thing in 16-bit space collapses into a call to bcopy and
a call to the com32 code.