[syslinux] syslinux: localboot error

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Wed May 4 14:46:51 PDT 2005

Hello all,

  I'm booting a USB stick (DOS formatted, one 1GB partition) and I'd
like to offer the choice of either continue booting from the USB stick,
or booting from the installed hard disk (Linux ext3).  I've asked this
question here previously and Quinn replied saying I should use the
'localboot -1' option which would pass boot to the next device.  And so
I did.  The BIOS will boot off USB-HDD first, then from first hard disk.

  Needless to say, both the USB and the hard disk are booting fine on
their own. But the localboot option simply does not work.  And here are
the error messages I get:

  "Unknown keyword in syslinux.cfg"
  "Could not find kernel image: 2"

 from such a syslinux.cfg file:

default 2
timeout 30
prompt 1

label 1
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=16384 root=/dev/ram0 ide=nodma

label 2
  LOCALBOOT -1

  What am I doing wrong ?

  I then tried with extlinux (USB stick formatted ext2) thinking that
perhaps it would ease the transition to booting the ext3 hard disk but I
get the same error messages from a slightly modified extlinux.conf file
that sets the default boot to 1 when I enter at the prompt '2'.

  What gives ?  Is it possible at all to transfer the boot sequence from
syslinux/extlinux to the machine's hard disk ?

  All replies will be greatly appreciated.

  By the way, using psf fonts is kind of fun, is there a repository
somewhere that has a lot of choice, or is there some conversion utility
that works with X fonts ?

Cheers,

Al