[syslinux] Memdisk ramdisk hangs using menu.c32, but ok from cmdline.

Puckett, Richard H. richard.puckett at ngc.com
Thu May 19 11:29:52 PDT 2005

<..trying again after changing outgoing e-mail options to avoid bad
headers...>

I'm trying to use syslinux 3.08-pre11 on a Gateway E4000 with the
(sample) config file below, and the ramdisk images fail to boot if
selected as a menu option, but do boot if I press ESC and type the
command line manually.

The two options are for the same floppy image, but the first is
compressed, the second uncompressed.  When the compressed image is
selected from the menu, memdisk displays warnings with an incorrect
image size and fractional sectors, then fails to boot.  The uncompressed
image simply fails to boot.

When either command line is entered manually, the ramdisk boots
correctly.  So far, I've only experienced the problem on the E4000, but
don't know why it would just be this system...

Any insights would be helpful.

- Rick

	DEFAULT menu.c32
	MENU TITLE Boot CD

	ALLOWOPTIONS 1
	PROMPT 0
	TIMEOUT 100

	LABEL Floppy0
		MENU LABEL Floppy Boot Image 0
		MENU DEFAULT
		KERNEL memdisk
		APPEND initrd=floppy.gz floppy c=80 h=4 s=36

	LABEL Floppy1
		MENU LABEL Floppy Boot Image 1
		KERNEL memdisk
		APPEND initrd=floppy.img floppy c=80 h=4 s=36