[syslinux] can pxe localboot report failure to bios

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Thu May 19 16:13:54 PDT 2005

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
>
>>  > Okay... ALL the pxelinux "localboot" arguments mean continue to the
>> next boot device -- assuming the BIOS/PXE supports it (which a lot of
>> them don't.) "localboot 0" is the normal mode; "localboot 4" and
>> "localboot 5" are special-purpose boots.
>>

>> On a laptop that is set to LAN, HD - it booted the HD.
>>
>> On a box set to Floppy, HD, booting EtherBoot floppy, I get
>> boot:
>> Booting from local disk
>> probing pci nic...
>> probing isa nic...
>> <sleep>
>>
>> and then it re-enters EtherBoot, but not from the start - it skips the
>> Boot from (N)etwork or (Q)uit.
>> and then boots from net.
>>
>> I am guessing this is an EtherBoot problem?
>>

> No.  If you boot from a disk medium (floppy, USB key, hard disk) there
> is no way to "return to the BIOS", so "localboot 0" is fundamentally
> incapable of doing anything for you.  In other words, if you want to
> boot to disk at this point, you have to use chain.c32.
>
> Similarly with standard PXE stacks for older BIOSes.

When it loops to:

Boot from (N)etwork or (Q)uit

If I hit Q it boots from the drive.  Any idea what it is doing?

I am pretty sure I can make a floppy that will timeout and boot the drive if I
don't hit N, so I think that will take care of what I need.  things are getting
"messy".  The goal here is Install Linux which will do tings for 20 min, then
reboot the box and keep installing for another 30 min.  I don't want to be around
for the reboot.  And I want to be able to document how to set this up - messy
setup ends up with messy docs.  (i know none of this is your problem)

ck