[syslinux] pxelinux menu questions

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 4 08:00:07 PST 2005

The simple menu (found in com32/modules) reads your config file and
displays its contents for user selection. For that reason the config
file allows you to "Configure" the menu using certain keywords. The
advanced menu on the other hand currently does not read the config file
and hence the menu contents need to be hard coded into program before
compiling it.

So if you use the advanced menu, and put that as the default entry in
your config file, it is not necessary to put the user choices there.
However, it will be a good idea to do it anyway. It gives you the
possibility of switching menu systems and more importantly, allows you
to type something in the boot prompt directly in case any/both the menu
systems are giving you problems.

Hope this answers your question.

- Murali