[syslinux] Isolinux and Windows NT Installations

Andreas Nitsche andreas.nitsche at h3c.de
Thu Apr 13 05:52:41 PDT 2006

Hello!

El Torito & isolinux test with qemu

- 3.06 boots, BUT windows boot files can't be loaded.

   ISOLINUX 3.06 2005-01-10 isolinux: Image checksum error, sorry...

   Boot failed: Press a key to retry...

- 3.07 boots and starts windows boot files in the second run.
  The first one gives:

   isolinux: Disk error 0C, AX = 4204, drive E0

- 3.08 boots und starts windows boot files in qemu

- 3.09 boots und starts windows bootfiles in the second run.
  The first one gives:

  isolinux: Disk error 0C, AX = 4204, drive E0

- 3.10 boots, BUT windows boot files will not load and no error message
  occurs.

- 3.11 boots, BUT windows boot files will not load and no error message
  occurs.

used mkiso command:

mkisofs -joliet-long -relaxed-filenames -r -l -d -D -N -J \
        -p "$PREPARER" -publisher "$PUBLISHER" -b $BOOT \
        -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -V "$VOLID" -no-iso-translate \
        -c boot.cat -hide $BOOT -hide-joliet $BOOT \
        -o $ISOFILENAME $ISOROOT

Windows boot files are these files to boot up a windows NT installation.

What did I wrong?

What should I have a look at that my CDs work on most systems? When the
BIOS gives an option to boot from CD is this not a sign that these CDs
will work.

I hope you can help me...

Regards

Andi

PS: Is there a reason why Knopper uses isolinux 2.11 on the KNOPPIX
4.0.2 CD?