[syslinux] Switchroot: mount failed: 22, Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted tp kill init!

Jim Cromie jim.cromie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 04:40:34 PDT 2006

Kosolapov Dmitry wrote:
> Yes It was written in a single line.
>
> Now I've made new kernel at the client machine and transfered it over
> FTP to the server. It worked.

your terminology is confusing/confused.
you say FTP here, and tftp below.
I also cant imagine why tftp would care whether the kernel is built for
/ with modules.

Im also puzzled by your client & server setup/

> My pxelinux.cfg/default:
> LABEL linux
>   KERNEL bzImage
>   APPEND root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp

hm.  I suspect my APPEND line is needlessly long and overspecified,
but I wonder if yours is too short ..
Youre certainly relying on your dhcpd setup to provide everything,
but have not given any reason/evidence that it is correctly doing so.

and are you sure about 'bzImage' ?
my /boot directory has dozens of vmlinuz-* files, but no bzImage files.
I believe 'make bzimage' is now anachronistic, close to obsolete.  I
just do make.

> And I get:
> Warning: Unable to open an initial console
> And system halts.
> Before this message I view my root fs system is mounted in read only
> mode (despite my exports file allows to mount root fs in rw mode!).
>
> One note. Kernel was configured with modules (otherwise it won't load
> over tftp - it's feature!), but I didn't do "make modules". transered
> only bzImage to the server.

why do you think this would work ?

> After halting I've tried to load the kernel at client locally and got
> our old error :)
>
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> It seems to me, there is only kernel problem here. What do you think
> about it?

Id agree.
Why dont you simplify, and build and install the kernel on the server
(which Id generally assume is the bigger/faster box)

Heres my setup:
I build kernels on my 'server', ie laptop, and install them there.
This puts vmlinuz, and an initrd into /boot, and modules into
/lib/modules/`uname -r`
(the server is FC-4, which uses initrds for all its kernels.)

my tftp setup serves files out of /boot, not the default /tftpboot,
that way I dont have to remember to copy things over.
I also NFS mount /boot, /lib/modules/ so my little debian box can see
stuff that I just installed.
I configure the little-box kernels to not need initrd, even tho theyre
built on FC-4;
theyre running on debian.

PS  hi Geert !