[syslinux] tftp server with mysql backend

James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov
Thu Apr 27 08:45:36 PDT 2006

syslinux-bounces at zytor.com wrote on 04/26/2006 05:04:51 PM:

> James_Martin at ao.uscourts.gov wrote:
> > This is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks..  Any reason why
this
> > patch wasn't folded into the release?
>
> Mostly because I'm nervous about the implications of execution
> inside the chroot.  Setting
> up a chroot which can do an exec() is not for the faint of heart.
> What I've been hoping
> to do is to set up a way to access a client/server arrangement,
> possibly using http as the
> intermediate protocol, but for various reasons I haven't had enough
> time to do it right.

Yeah-- that is kind of what I've been thinking.. Almost like a tftp-http
proxy.. All incoming requests are done in tftp, but the tftpd translates
those to http requests in the backend.. Maybe even make it pluggable to
allow a ftp/db/http backend.. or whatever the user decides to write a
plugin for.

> It's entirely possible that tftp-hpa -- which has the
> uncompromisable goal of being
> psychotically portable -- may not be the right vehicle for this;
> I've been plotting a bit
> at possibly doing a grounds-up tftp server for sane systems, but
> that's even more time...
>
> Sorry. :-/
>
>    -hpa

No need to be sorry, we all appreciate your hard work!

James