[syslinux] Needed to use -s option with syslinux to boot USB disk on Dell Laptop

Erik Berg erik1berg at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 04:42:45 PDT 2006

Hi,

I WAS experiencing a problem while attempting to boot Knoppix V5.0.1 off a
USB key using SYSLINUX.

Having almost sent the following text as a request for help I can now tag it
as a solution! :)

The USB drive is a Corsair Flash Voyager 1024 MB, with a 745 MB partition
I'm trying (now succesfully) to use for the purpose of booting Knoppix. I've
followed the instructions on this page for the setup of the system:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/knoppix.html
deviating only in the version of syslinux I used (3.20 instead of 3.11).

When I tried to boot from this setup on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop I got
this error message:
"NTLDR missing, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot."

The same hardware has been used to succesfully boot a BartPE image, where
NTLDR obviously was present.

I had problems finding out what the -fma command line options to syslinux
do, but I did find a description for the -s switch and using that solved my
problem!
This indicates that the BIOS in my Dell is a bit "buggy" according to your
syslinux FAQ.

Well, all went well and I'm posting this as per your request in the FAQ for
all users needing the -s option to post their experiences.

More info:
Looking for an option to choose between USB-ZIP, USB-HDD, etc. I discovered
there is no such option in the BIOS on my Dell.
The Dell Inspiron 6400 is also called Inspiron 1505.
BIOS info:
System: MM061
Bios Version: A06 - 06/09/2006 (mm/dd/yyyy)

Hope this information can be helpful in some way.

-Erik