[syslinux] pxelinux.0 on pSeries

Egan Ford egan at sense.net
Fri Feb 24 12:39:02 PST 2006

For PPC (pSeries JS20 and OpenPower) you need to create a combined
kernel/initrd image and have dhcpd.conf hand this out via TFTP.  RH and SuSE
provide this combined image for PPC systems.  The challenge for automated
install is passing the kernel command line options.  To automate this I have
to use Expect to control the '0 >' prompt to pass the options via a terminal
server or SOL.

You many want to consider using xCAT (xcat.org), or looking at the code.
xCAT supports pxelinux.0 (x86/x86_64), elilo (ia64), and CHRP (ppc64) for
network installation of SuSE and RH as well as stateless/diskless for
RH/SuSE.  xCAT also has hardware control (e.g. remote power on/off) for most
IBM servers (including OpenPower/Bladecenter) and IPMI-based machines.

Email me if you still cannot network install pSeries.

That all said, if a pxelinux.0 does surface for PPC, it would make my job
easier. :-)