[syslinux] Problems booting from cd

Ian Leonard ian at smallworld.cx
Fri Jun 2 04:11:32 PDT 2006

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez wrote:
> El Jueves, 11 de Mayo de 2006 15:15, Gustavo Guillermo Pérez escribió:
>> El Miércoles, 10 de Mayo de 2006 02:35, Ian Leonard escribió:
>>> I read, on this list, that someone had this problem if they had too many
>>> files on the CD. Since one of the things I had done was to add files,
>>> this could be a reason. However I did remove these files and rebuild the
>>> cd's but it still didn't work. It could be that I had some bad media or
>>> just made a mistake. Assuming this is the case, removing the -T would
>>> not write the TRANS.TBL files, this reducing the number of files. It
>>> doesn't explain the issue with the -J though.
>> I have problems with some BIOSES that doesn't like boot files at random on
>> the disk, they prfer the files is at TOP on the ISO Structure, it means if
>> you do:
>> find compilation -maxdepth 1 -type d
>> you should see 1st your boot isolinux folder.
>> My Workaround is to make a new folder and start to move the folders to a
>> new one, but in order of precedence. 1st isolinux one.
>>
>> Then the new folder has at 1st place the boot folder and every BIOS is
>> happy again. It happens more frecuently with DVDs than CDs, but I had to
>> touch CD ISOS as well.
>>
>> :)
> I forgot to mention files and folders should care then remove -type d, cause
> if 1GB file is burned at top, our boot files will reside over the size of a
> CD, and the DVD will not boot on buggy BIOSES again.

I have finally got round to trying out these ideas. I have tried
re-arranging the files and you suggested. I have also tried using the
sort option in mkisofs. Nothing makes any difference. The only other
thing I can try is running the debug version of isolinx. The problem
there is it takes so long to test these things and I do have a solution
(loose the -J and -T) options.

It'll probably be weeks until I can find the time, but I wanted to say
thanks for everyones help.

--
Ian Leonard

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.