[syslinux] Problems booting from cd

Ian Leonard ian at wavestore.com
Tue May 2 09:55:50 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have a cd building system that has worked for ages. I made lots of
changes before I noticed that it now produces non-bootable cd's. I made
changes to the files that went on the cd rather than the programs than
buildings the isos (mainly mkisofs). The cd's don't fail on all machines.
It seems to be a combination of motherboard and cd drive. At boot time,
the cd light flashes quickly before it tries to boot from the harddisk.

Looking through this lists archive I see a couple of people have had similar
problems. Suggestions range from the amount of data on the cd's and
avoiding the Joliet extensions. I have tried the latter with no luck. I am
producing a two cd set so the first disk is quite full.

I have tried to go back to the previous working version but the change that
did the damage must be quite subtle and I can't fix it.

As I said, this seem similar to problems experienced by others. I would be
keen to know if they got the problems solved.

TIA.

--
Regards

Ian Leonard