[syslinux] pxelinux localboot enhancement

Constantine Gavrilov constg at qlusters.com
Thu Nov 30 00:03:29 PST 2006

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Constantine Gavrilov wrote:
>
>> pxelinux, when given a localboot=... option, will try to boot next
>> bios device itself.
>>
>> The problem is it takes next BIOS device by BIOS order of
>> enumeration.  That has no connection with the boot order defined in
>> BIOS.
>

> That's utter bunk.  It should boot the next device in order of booting.
>
>> I think pxelinux is really missing localboot=-1 option of isolinux
>> (return failure to bios). This would solve a whole lot of problems
>> that users may encounter when specifying localboot= option.
>

> It's called "localboot 0" in PXELINUX.
>
>     -hpa

You are right. I was wrong. Thanks for your answer. Sorry for wasting
your time.

I verified it so far with a Vmware partition (two nics, floppy, cdrom,
disk) and in all combinations of boot order  (first NIC first, the rest
variable) and localbot does the right thing (goes either to floppy,
disk, cdrom or second NIC).

I will recheck what is the problem with problematic nodes that failed
previously.

Constantine Gavrilov
Kernel Developer
Qlusters Software Ltd