[syslinux] PXE booting Dell diagnostics

J.H. warthog19 at eaglescrag.net
Fri Oct 20 10:15:36 PDT 2006

Inline - JAH

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 13:13 +0200, Berthold Cogel wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I like to PXE boot the 'Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics' tool. I can create a
> harddisk image with the linux download package. The README of the
> Package gives an example how to create an memdisk entry for the pxelinux
> menu system:
>

> <quote>
>
> Create a Bootable HDD Image File
>
> Use of the resulting image to perform a Preboot Execution Environment
> (PXE) boot into the diagnostics requires additional software and
> network infrastructure including a TFTP server, a DHCP server, and a
> bootloader capable of network booting. Specific instructions about how
> to how to do so on your network are beyond the scope of this readme file;
> however, a high-level overview of the steps to set this up using the
> pxelinux bootloader is described below. Consult your documentation or
> contact your local network administrator for additional
> information.
>
> The "default" configuration file.
>
> DEFAULT test
>
> LABEL test
> 	kernel memdisk
> 	append initrd=ddtest.img
>
> EXAMPLE output from a HD image build
>
>    [user at localhost tmp]$ sudo ./DDDP.sh
>
>    -------------------------------------------------------
>    ---------- Dell Diagnostic Delivery Package -----------
>    --------   Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Dell Inc.   --------
>    -------------------------------------------------------
>
>    Creating temporary install directory /tmp/DDDP.
>      Directory /tmp/DDDP exists
>    View the README file? (y/n) n
>    Select device type to build (C=CD, U=USB Flash, H=Hard Drive, F=Floppy) h
>     ----> Build type selected is "HDD"
>    Enter image output filename [/tmp/diags.img]
>    Building image file /tmp/diags.img
>    Image file /tmp/diags.img for media type HDD, build complete
>    ======> Hard drive image in file "/tmp/diags.img"
>    [user at localhost tmp]$

> KNOWN ISSUES
>
> Currently, root access is required to create the bootable HDD image
> files and to write the images to the devices.
>
> </quote>
>

> I've copied the files to the appropriate positions and created this entry:
>
> LABEL diag32
> 	MENU LABEL Dell Diagnostics
> 	KERNEL memdisk
> 	APPEND initrd=tests/diags.img
>

> But it doesn't work as expected. All I get during the boot is:

> Could not find ramdisk image: tests/diags.img
> boot:

As far as memdisk & syslinux are concerned tests/diags.img doesn't
exsist.  Take a look at your tftpboot directory and make sure it's there
and readable.  If that doesn't solve your problem enable verbose output
for tftp (if your using tftp-hpa just add -v or -vv to it's
instantiation line, on a fedora based system edit /etc/xinetd.d/tftp and
add it to the 'server_args' line like:
server_args             = -vv -s /tftpboot)

- John