[syslinux] PXE booting Dell diagnostics

Berthold Cogel cogel at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 23 08:32:09 PDT 2006

J.H. wrote:

> As far as memdisk & syslinux are concerned tests/diags.img doesn't
> exsist.  Take a look at your tftpboot directory and make sure it's there
> and readable.  If that doesn't solve your problem enable verbose output
> for tftp (if your using tftp-hpa just add -v or -vv to it's
> instantiation line, on a fedora based system edit /etc/xinetd.d/tftp and
> add it to the 'server_args' line like:
> server_args             = -vv -s /tftpboot)
>
> - John

Hmmm...

I've some other entrys in this submenu that do work:

LABEL memtest86
	MENU LABEL Memtest^86
	KERNEL tests/memtest

LABEL memtest86+
	MENU LABEL ^Memtest86+
	KERNEL tests/memtest86+

LABEL diag32
	MENU LABEL ^Dell Diagnostics
	KERNEL memdisk
	APPEND initrd=tests/diags.img

LABEL dos
	MENU LABEL d^os
	KERNEL memdisk
	APPEND initrd=images/622C.IMG

And even if I put diags.img in the same directory as 622C.IMG, memdisk
doesn't find it.

If I skip the first 128 bytes via dd (crasy ... I know ...), memdisk
recognises the image and tries to boot it. memdisk then hangs with the
message 'Loading bootsector... booting...'.

So it's not a problem with the path...

Berthold

--
Dipl. Chem. Dr. Berthold Cogel                 University of Cologne
E-Mail: cogel at rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE                 ZAIK-US (RRZK)