[syslinux] Way to remove SYSLINUX?

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 23:05:13 PDT 2006

On 9/13/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> root wrote:
> > Hi, i was installing syslinux to a usb drive when, through a typo('sda'
> > instead of of 'sdb'), accidently installed it to my windows partition, which
> > has made it unbootable, i tryed restoring the MBR with windows FDISK and
> > the /MBR option but while it overwrote grub it didn't do so for syslinux,
> > does anyone know how to remove syslinux from the partition?
>
> If you installed it on /dev/sda1 or whatever your partition is, you need
> to restore it using the Windows SYS tool (SYS C:).
>
>         -hpa

Well, with non 9x versions of windows (aka NT, 2K, and XP) you'll
probably have to restore via the restoration console on the
installation disc actually.  I haven't really found a cleaner way to
do it short of saving the boot data BEFORE messing things up, but,
that's not helpful after.  Anyway, I believe the command name is
BOOTFIX but if that doesn't work, just type help and it should list
all the commands the console supports.  I believe you can even type
help and the name of the command you want more info about to get
syntax information and such.