[syslinux] Comments sought on the graphical menu infrastructure

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Sep 20 08:55:09 PDT 2006

Constantin Charissis wrote:

> Will it be hard to create some com32 drawing primitive functions for vesa ?
> Like drawpixel, drawrect, drawfillrect ?

No, not really.  We need to make sure we think about the API ahead of
time so we don't end up creating something completely ad hoc, though.
For example, a drawing API should definitely support both on-screen and
off-screen drawing; and then it either needs to play nice with the text
API, or will not be usable at the same time (I don't know which one
would be better for you.)

Part of me had the slightly insane idea of porting libSDL to COM32.  I
don't really think it's hideously realistic, but it would be really neat.

> The goal for me is to create an advanced menu system with a graphical
> GUI instead of a text based one.
> And maybe later mouse support ?

Mouse support is really messy, though.