[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.31-pre3 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Sep 23 09:59:14 PDT 2006

Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On 9/22/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> After thinking a bit of the multi-file support in 3.31-pre1, and
>> considering a few users' feedback on the subject, I have made a couple
>> of changes:
>
> Reading README.menu I understand we can use "MENU INCLUDE" just for
> menu system setup, not for adding labels.
>
> But in this thread
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-September/007347.html
> you answer to an user, which is using "MENU INCLUDE" for adding a
> common LABEL, like it's something possible and supported.
>
> So, can we include LABEL/KERNEL/APPEND statements in a file which is read
> with "MENU INCLUDE"?

Yes, you can.  However, the syslinux core will not be able to see this
label, so if you drop down to the command line and type this label name
it will not work.  In particular, you need to make sure none of the
directives necessary to get into the menu system are in an included file.

> Also, assuming that graphics.conf and othermenu.conf don't contain
> conflicting directives, is using
>     APPEND graphics.conf othermenu.conf
> 100% equivalent to using
>      APPEND othermenu.conf
> and then using "MENU INCLUDE graphics.conf" at the top of othermenu.conf?
> If yes, what's the method you recommend?

Yes, they're equivalent (even if they do contain conflicting directives,
in fact.)  Use whichever method is more convenient for your application.