[syslinux] Icon or CJK fonts in MENU TITLE, is that possible in the future ?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Sep 27 09:25:45 PDT 2006

steven at nchc.org.tw wrote:
> First I would like to say thank you to HPA for providing some really nice features in recently syslinux version.
> About new functions, actually I have another radical idea, since we are in Asia, most of the users here they would like to see some local fonts for the syslinux/pxelinux menu. I am wondering is that possible, in the future, the syslinux/pxelinux menu can support CJK fonts or icon ?
> This will be a very friendly feature for those people their mother tongue is not English.
> If it's too radical, just ignore that.
> Thanks in advance.

Supporting the kind of large fonts needed for CJK is quite difficult in
a restricted environment without memory management like com32 (I'm not
saying it's impossible, though.)  However, if all you're concerned about
is MENU TITLE, you could simulate it by just leaving the title blank and
having your text be part of the background image in the appropriate spot.