[syslinux] syslinux-3.36 and 3.35 compilation broke /dev/null

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Sun Feb 11 23:17:13 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To: "Gilles Espinasse" <g.esp at free.fr>
Cc: <syslinux at zytor.com>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 4:20 AM
Subject: Re: syslinux-3.36 and 3.35 compilation broke /dev/null

> Gilles Espinasse wrote:
> > I have tested with 3.31 (does not broke /dev/null) and 3.35/3.36 that
broke
> > /dev/null
> >
> > I verify that /dev/null exist, then compile one of the target available
on
> > top Makefile and /dev/null no more exist.
>
> Okay, that's a bug, but you really shouldn't build things as root unless
> absolutely necessary.

It's necessary on ipcop actually.
We have a master script that compile 182 scripts and they mix files loading,
compilation and installation.
After toolchain compilation, everything is made in a chroot, so it should
not break the running machine.

I discover the problem only after installing the resulting image because
some errors were printed when send to /dev/null and sshd-4.5p1 failed to
start with a cryptic message
fatal: daemon() failed: Success

Concerning environnement, we have two flavors:
- the oldest is gcc-3.3.3, binutils-2.15.90.0.3, make-3.80
- the most recent is gcc-3.4.5 , binutils-2.16.1, make-3.80
Both show a broken /dev/null

Gilles